Fukushima radioactive water leak is considered an “emergency”

7 years ago by in Japan

The residue radioactive water at the Fukushima nuclear plant has become “an emergency”, the authorities said. The situation is even more serious as a barrier built to contain the water has already been breached, the Nuclear Regulatory Authority warned.

This might mean that the amount of water leaking into the Pacific Ocean could accelerate rapidly, the media write. This is not the first situation of the kind and the power plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) was heavily criticized on the matter.

Japan’s nuclear regulator ordered Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) to drain all underground radioactive water from the underground tunnels of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. The measure is taken after the authorities made public the fact that radioactive water leaked into the sea at the Fukushima nuclear plant site.

High levels of radioactivity have been detected in wells in the plant site and an adjacent port since May. The operator said it would start injecting chemicals into the gravel layers to block the water and that it would also decontaminate the water in the tunnels from September by circulating it through a purifier.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said almost two weeks ago it has detected 2.35 billion becquerels of cesium per liter from water in an underground passage at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant that is leaking into the sea. This was roughly the same level as the level of radiation measured in April 2011, shortly after the nuclear disaster the preceding month.

The water sample taken at the time from a trench contained 750 million becquerels of cesium-134 and 1.6 billion becquerels of cesium-137 per liter, while 750 million becquerels of other radioactive substances were detected, according to TEPCO, quoted by Kyodo.

The operator of the Fukushima nuclear power plant admitted for the first time, two weeks ago that the radioactive underground water leaked into the ocean. Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) was studying radioactive water in its monitoring wells since May and recently observed a drop in the radioactivity. This can only mean that the tainted water leaked into the Pacific Ocean.