More than 5,000 typhoon victims confirmed in the Philippines

5 years ago by in Travel

The number of confirmed victims in the Philippines was confirmed to 5,235 on Saturday, with another 1,613 people still missing more than two weeks after Typhoon Haiyan destroyed the central Philippines.

Survivors desperately need help such as food, water and medication, the United Nations warned.

The devastating effects of natural disaster made dozens of countries and aid organizations rush into helping more than four million people who lost their homes.

However, the help is not coming fast enough, UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos warned after visiting the disaster areas.

“Much more needs to be done. Food, clean water and shelter remain the top priorities,” Amos said as a UN appeal for funds was raised from $301 million to $348 million.

Many people are still exposed to bad weather, while babies, children and mothers are even more vulnerable to the harsh living conditions after losing their houses.

“I am very concerned that some 1.5 million children are at risk of acute malnutrition and close to 800,000 pregnant and nursing mothers need nutritional help,” Amos said.

The World Bank last week added $480 million in emergency aid to the Philippines, taking its support to nearly $1 billion. The Asian Development Bank has also offered $500 million concessionary loans.

Japan, the U.S., Australia, Britain and Indonesia sent military support, while China dispatched a 300-bed hospital ship.